Vol 23, No 1. June 2005
Please note that this volume of the Journal is not yet available in electronic format. Paper copies of the journal are awaiting scanning.
H. James, Ed
The boxing day tsunami of 26 December 2004 caused devastation and loss of life around the Indian ocean . International disaster victim identification efforts were centred in Thailand, with many odontologists from over 20 countries contributing to the examination of deceased, collection of antemortem information, comparison and reconciliation of data. The contribution of forensic odontology to the identification process conducted in Thailand in response to the tsunami devastation is presented in a composite of short reports focused on the five phases associated with disaster victim identification. To date 1,474 deceased have been identified. Dental comparison has been the primary identifier in 79% of cases and a contributor in another 8%, a total of 87%.
(J Forensic Odontostomatol 2005;23:1-18)
L. Andersen Torpet
DVI System International is software that operates on the PC-Windows platform. It is capable of managing aspects of identification in day-to-day cases and major disasters, where it has particular advantages when victims of several nationalities are involved. The system uses Interpol forms as standard protocols for input and transfer of antemortem and postmortem information. Following the Thai Tsunami Disaster of 26 December 2004, Interpol recommended that its member country Thailand use DVI System International software, as it is one of the few internationally approved systems. This paper focuses on the concepts upon which the dental forms, F1 and F2, of the DVI System International are designed, describes how it works and some of the adjustments implemented during the ongoing Thai Tsunami Victim Identification process.
(J Forensic Odontostomatol 2005;23:19-25)
M. Muthusubramanian, K. S. Limson, R. Julian
The most challenging situations in Forensic Odonto-Stomatology are mass disasters, where the forensic dentist is usually confronted with charred human remains or heavily decomposed or fragmented bodies. This article determines the extent of preservation of palatal rugae for use as an alternative identification tool in such situations, using a study group comprising burn victims and cadavers simulating forensic cases of incineration and decomposition. The thermal effects and the decomposition changes on the palatal rugae of burn victims with panfacial third degree burns and human cadavers in storage were respectively assessed and graded on a new scale. Ninety three percent of burn victims and 77% of human cadavers had Grade 0 changes (normal). When changes were noted, they were less pronounced than the generalized body involvement of burns in burn victims and the generalized body decomposition of human cadavers.
(J Forensic Odontostomatol 2005;23:26-29)